Sunday, May 15, 2011

Guatemala 5.15

I've decided I would be a horrible travel writer. 2 reasons, the first being I have horrible spelling and grammar. Second, I fall in love with every country I travel to. 

I have nothing but great things to say about Guatemala. It is on the top of my list of places people must visit. So much culture, so much beauty, so much history. I would spend as little time in Guatemala city as possible, but make time for Antigua, a little colonial city about 45 minutes from the city. 



We explored an 85 mile cave in Candelaria, Guatemala.







A must stop is Flores, in northern Guatemala. A cute little backpacker town with great food and a ton to do.



Dave and I getting romantic in Flores.



Tikal! An amazing Mayan site.



Weird things happen in Tikal.


Three of the countless Mayan sites protruding the treetops. There are still tons of buildings yet to be uncovered in this city of Tikal alone.  


We rented bikes and a guide and went on a 100 mile off road motorcycle trip through some remote Guatemalan villages. 


It was wet and dirty.



We stopped for lunch in a super cute little village and our little group stuck out like a sore thumb. They obviously don't have too many tourists blasting through their Saturday market on motorbikes. 








Sitting in Houston right now waiting for our next flight. We stop in Paris en route to Stockholm, Sweden. Should be quite a climate change. 

Adios,
Kyle

4 comments:

  1. You look insane in several of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, Kyle! I went to Belize for my honeymoon, spent time in the jungle and the beach at Francis Ford Copola's resorts and I have a friend living and selling real estate in antigua, guat. Thanks for sharing and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those cave pics remind me of Lord of the Flies

    ReplyDelete